Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Ten Questions with Karen Slack

Ten Questions with...









Karen Slack, soprano
Sister Rose in Dead Man Walking







1. My favorite thing about being a singer is:
Traveling the world and sharing my gift.

2. The greatest challenge in being a singer is: 
Being away from family, friends, and my fury children.

3. A live music performance I’ve attended that I will never forget is: 

When I was a kid my parents took me to see the Soul/Funk group Earth, Wind and Fire at the old Spectrum in Philadelphia.  Live band with horns blasting, dancers in glittery costumes and pyrotechnics on stage.  It was incredible.  I stood on my Dad's shoulders all night.  I will never forget it!
  
4. A few of my favorite films are: 
The Color Purple, What's Love Got To Do With It, A Nightmare on Elm Street, and Carrie.

5. Three things I can’t live without are: 
Lipgloss, inspirational quotes, and Richard Strauss lieder.

6. My number one hobby is: 
Making jewelry. 

7. If you could perform with any singer, retired or deceased, who would it be?
Luciano Pavarotti. 

8. If you weren’t a singer, what profession would you be in?
A veterinarian, or a Life Coach.

9. What role do you wish you could sing that you could never sing because it’s the wrong voice type/gender?
Rigoletto. 

10. Describe your favorite moment on stage. 
Last season I sang one performance of Tosca with Arizona Opera on a rainy Saturday afternoon.  The most fun I have ever had on stage! What a dream role!

Bonus:  One Question you wish someone would ask you (and the answer)
What would you tell your 16 year-old self who decided she wanted to pursue a career in Opera/Classical music today?
Pray hard, work hard, take nothing for granted, seize each opportunity you get and all the joy possible, integrity is most important, treat everyone with kindness and PRACTICE!!!

See Karen in Madison Opera's production of Jake Heggie's Dead Man Walking April 25 and 27 at Overture Hall. Tickets start at just $18!

No comments: