Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Six Questions with Anna Laurenzo

Six Questions with...




Anna Laurenzo, mezzo-soprano
Paquette in Candide





1. My favorite thing about being a singer is: Getting to become someone else on stage.  It's such a learning experience to try out different character mannerisms and habits that I would never do in real life.  And how could I fail to mention the crazy fun costumes!

2. The greatest challenge in being a singer is: The inability to see your instrument.

3. A live music performance I’ve attended that I will never forget is: The Dvorak Violin Concerto in A with the Minnesota Orchestra in 2011.  What a powerful piece!


4.  My favorite American opera is: 
There are so many!  I am so excited about the future of opera, but to narrow it down:  Of Mice and Men by Carlisle Floyd, A Streetcar Named Desire by Andre Previn, Doctor Atomic by John Adams, and Glory Denied by Tom Ciupllo.


5. People would be surprised to know that: I was a gymnast for 10 years!
 

6. Describe your favorite moment on stage: I love the moment just before the curtain opens, no matter the show.  There is a quiet energy that starts to bubble up as I listen to the overture and do my final preparation.
 
Bonus: One question you wish someone would ask you (and the answer).
Q:  What is your favorite all-American food?
A:  I'd have to say Buffalo wings or any derivative of that (buffalo chicken dip, buffalo chicken nachos, etc.)



Anna is one of Madison Opera's 2014/15 Studio Artists.  Come hear her in excerpts from Candide as part of American Kaleidoscope at the Overture Center this Saturday and Sunday.  Tickets at overturecenter.org or 608.258.4141.

No comments: