Monday, November 3, 2014

Ten Questions with David Blalock

Ten Questions With...

David Blalock, tenor
Jaquino in Fidelio


1.  Where were you born / raised? 
Chapel Hill, North Carolina / Burlington, North Carolina

2.  If you weren't a singer, what profession would you be in?
I would absolutely love to be a sports writer.  I am an avid sports fan, and writing about sports for a living would be a dream job.

3.  My favorite opera is...
Peter Grimes, although the answer to this question changes about every 2 or 3 weeks.

4.  My favorite pre/post-show meal is...
Pre-show:  Something light:  either a salad or a small sandwich.
Post-show:  Double whatever I had pre-show.

5.  People would be surprised to know that...
My brother is also a professional opera singer.

6.  What is your favorite song to belt out for karaoke? 
"My Funny Valentine," in the style of Frank Sinatra.

7.  What is your pop culture guilty pleasure?
Going to see movies.  I absolutely love the experience of going to the theater.

8.  A few of my favorite films are...
The Shawshank Redemption, No Country for Old Men, Twelve Angry Men, Some Like It Hot, The Deer Hunter, Unforgiven.

9.  If we were to turn on your ipod right now, what five artists/songs would we see on your recently-played list?   
Kurt Elling, definitely Jonas Kaufmann, Lake Street Dive, probably some other young tenors like Bryan Hymel or Michael Fabiano.

10.  What is the best costume you've ever worn? 
A marionette costume for the world premiere of Oscar at Santa Fe Opera during the summer of 2013.  There was a scene that took place in a nursery and all of the toys came to life.  My character was a marionette dressed as a pirate.  I had giant strings attached to my limbs that were hooked to a handle above my head.  It's hard to describe, but I looked amazing.  Plus I got to walk around like a puppet, which was fun.

Bonus: One question you wish someone would ask you (and the answer):
Q:  What is your dream role in any voice type?
A:  My dream role is Rigoletto.  I would love to sing the role, but also it would be a fun challenge dramatically.

Don't miss the chance to see David in Fidelio, Beethoven's only opera!  Performances are November 21 and 23 at Overture Hall.  Tickets start at $18; visit madisonopera.org for more information.

No comments: