Friday, November 14, 2014

Ten Questions with Matt Boehler

Ten Questions With...

Matt Boehler, bass
Rocco in Fidelio


1.  Where were you born / raised? 
Minneapolis, Minnesota.

2.  If you weren't a singer, what profession would you be in?
Publishing, maybe?

3.  My favorite opera is...
Right now, at this moment:  Peter Grimes.  But that will change in five minutes.

4.  My favorite pre/post-show meal is...
Pre-show:  Something non-offensive and noodly.
Post-show:  ALL THE FOOD.

5.  People would be surprised to know...
At my height, 6'7", I'm asked pretty often if I play basketball.  I don't!  Believe me, if I had any talent for it, I'd have made my millions long ago.

6.  What is your favorite song to belt out at the bar / in the car / for karaoke? 
"Copacabana" by Barry Manilow

7.  What is your pop culture guilty pleasure?
Since True Blood is finished, the only program that I really follow now is RuPaul's Drag Race.  But if it's true that Twin Peaks is coming back, I'll be there in a flash.

8.  A few of my favorite films are...
Airplane! is at the top of the list.  Others, in no particular order:  The Shining, The Shawshank Redemption, Best in Show, Critters 2.

9.  If we were to turn on your ipod right now, what five artists/songs would we see on your recently-played list?   
Fidelio, Fidelio, Fidelio, Fidelio, and... Fidelio.

10.  What is the worst costume you've ever worn? 
Many, many years ago in summer stock, I was in a production of Harvey.  It was up to the cast to change the set, and the scene changes were all choreographed... to "The Bunny Hop."  We were all wearing little bunny ears and had little Peter Cottontail puffs snapped onto our rumps.  I remember thinking that wearing bunny costumes while hopping around and moving furniture was pretty lame at the time, but now I hear this is the whole concept for a new production of Don Carlo somewhere in Germany.

Don't miss the chance to see Matt in Fidelio, Beethoven's only opera!  Performances are November 21 and 23 at Overture Hall.  Tickets start at $18; visit madisonopera.org for more information.

No comments: