Monday, April 6, 2015

Ten Questions with Chelsea Morris

Ten Questions With...



Chelsea Morris, soprano
Berta in The Barber of Seville





1.  Where were you born / raised? 
I was born in Kalamazoo, Michigan and raised in Paw Paw, Michigan, but went through the Mattawan School System.

2.  If you weren't a singer, what profession would you be in?
I think I'd still be in the arts somehow, but it might be as a music teacher like my mom.

3.  My favorite opera is...
Le Nozze di Figaro, Der Rosenkavalier, Eugene Onegin, and L'Incoronazione di Poppea.

4.  My favorite pre/post-show meal is...
PASTA!

5.  People would be surprised to know that...
I have a twin sister.  We sang together throughout our whole lives until high school, and she just graduated from Northwestern Law School.  (Unless you already knew that, then you're not surprised at all!)

6.  What is your favorite song to belt out at the bar / in the car / for karaoke?
"Eternal Flame" by The Bangles.

7.  What is your pop culture guilty pleasure?
I don't feel guilty about enjoying some elements of pop culture (House Hunters, The Walking Dead, Friends reruns, Detroit Red Wings and Tigers).

8.  A few of my favorite films are...
Titanic, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Doubt, Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby.

9.  If we were to turn on your ipod right now, what five artists/songs would we see on your recently-played list?   
Hmmm... I don't have an ipod, but my last search on YouTube was "Barber of Seville Callas," and I listen to the Met Opera Sirius channel in the car.

10.  What is the best costume you've ever worn? 
I adored my costume for Clorinda in La Cenerentola last summer at Green Mountain Opera Festival.  It was a contemporary diner setting, and the other wicked stepsister and I got to be totally ridiculous.  Oh!  My costume for Lyric Opera of Chicago's new production of Elektra (where I was a non-singing, non-speaking actress) was truly incredible.  It felt like wearing a piece of war-torn modern art.

11.  Bonus:  One question you wish someone would ask you (and the answer):
Q:  Would you and your husband like to go on a European trip with me, all expenses paid?
A:  Yes.  Yes, we would.


Don't miss the chance to see Chelsea in The Barber of Seville, a classic operatic comedy!  Performances are April 24 and 26 in Overture Hall.  Tickets start at $18; visit madisonopera.org for more information.

No comments: