Wednesday, July 22, 2015

In the Park with Eleni Calenos

In the Park with...


Eleni Calenos
Soprano, Opera in the Park








1.  Where were you born / raised? 
I was born and raised in Thessaloniki, Greece.

2.  What is in your ideal picnic basket?
One that includes Spanish tapas and wine.

3.  My most memorable moment performing outside was...
Singing a Mozart opera in Barbados where the stage was set by the Caribbean and the orchestra included the sounds of local birds.

4.  My favorite outdoor performance I've attended was...
A performance of the Bolshoi Ballet in my hometown as a child.

5.  My favorite summertime activity is...
Swimming and reading.

6.  My ideal vacation is....
A small and remote Greek island in the Aegean Sea.

Bonus:  One question you wish someone would ask you (and the answer):
Q:  To what extent did you have to withdraw from the common game of life to dedicate yourself to opera, and is it worthwhile after all?
A:  Every detail of my life has definitely been modified to fit the career.  I am not engaged with opera - it is marriage we are talking about.  It is true and devoted love.  So, there is no doubt that it has taken me away from usual everyday activities.  You ask me if it's worthwhile...  My answer is, every bit.  I am hugely grateful for this never-ending source of happiness in my life.


Join Eleni for Opera in the Park on Saturday, July 25 at 8pm in Garner Park.  FREE admission; visit madisonopera.org for more information.

No comments: