Thursday, July 23, 2015

In the Park with Kyle Ketelsen

In the Park with...


Kyle Ketelsen
Bass-Baritone, Opera in the Park








1.  Where were you born / raised? 
I was born and raised in Clinton, IA.  In many ways it's your standard, working-class, mid-America town.  On a lovely stretch of the Mississippi, and a strong music tradition in the schools.  Quite similar to my current town, Sun Prairie, WI.

2.  What is in your ideal picnic basket?
Cheese, meat, and fruit.  Along with delivery vehicles like bread and crackers.  Red wine and/or Belgian beer.  And because that's not fatty enough, some form of chocolate for dessert is needed.

3.  My most memorable moment performing outside was...
I think it's a toss-up between two "Carmen" productions.  One was at the Hollywood Bowl, which is such a festive atmosphere, not to mention the amazing performers who have stepped foot on that stage.  The other was just a few weeks ago in Orange, France, in a Roman theater built in the first century.  Tremendously appreciative crowd, and the history of such a venue is exhilarating.

4.  My favorite outdoor performance I've attended was...
Probably the Three Tenors concert, Tiger Stadium, Detroit in 1999.  It was a wedding gift to my wife, and I was just beginning my own career.  Fascinating juxtaposition with the three men on stage, and their body of work.  Amazing!

5.  My favorite summertime activity is...
Anything with my family outside.  The Dells.  Baseball and softball games with the kids.  Cookouts!  We've been to many Madison Opera "Opera in the Park" concerts as viewers.  Also, NOT shoveling snow.

6.  My ideal vacation is....
Really anywhere with my family.  Opening our kids' eyes to the world.  Historical destinations are among our favorites.  Otherwise, I think I prefer lakes and mountains to sun and beach.  So many lovely places in Wisconsin that do in a pinch!


Join Kyle for Opera in the Park on Saturday, July 25 at 8pm in Garner Park.  FREE admission; visit madisonopera.org for more information.

No comments: