Monday, January 25, 2016

Ten Questions with Alexander Elliott

Ten Questions With...

Alexander Elliott, baritone
John Brooke iLittle Women




1.  Where were you born / raised? 
I was born in Lexington, Kentucky and grew up in Florence, South Carolina.

2.  If you weren't a singer, what profession would you be in?
I was going to be a nurse or a firefighter before I got into music school.  I think I'd also like something where I got to work with my hands.

3.  The first opera I was ever in was...
I was in the chorus of Carlisle Floyd's Susannah at Florida State University.

4.  My favorite opera is...
Usually whatever I am currently staging.  Onegin, Bohème, and A Midsummer Night's Dream are always near the top, though.

5.  My favorite pre/post-show meal is...
Pre-show I like something light.  A sandwich is great.  Post-show, give me burgers, beer, or whatever I can get my hands on!  I also like to snack a lot during performances.

6.  People would be surprised to know that...
I am actually pretty shy.  I get uncomfortable if I have to perform as myself.  I think the reason I love opera so much is because I get to wear a costume! 

7.  My favorite book to read growing up was...
The Harry Potter series.  The first book came out when I was 12 or so, and I got totally hooked.

8.  If we were to turn on your ipod right now, what five artists / songs would we see on you recently-played list?
Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, The Beatles, Nick Offerman's audiobooks, and tons of holiday music. [Ed. note: He answered this question in December.]

9.  What is the worst costume you've ever worn?
I played a mouse for an outreach show.  I had to put on and take off this really heavy and sort of scary makeup (along with a healthy layer of skin) twice a day.  My costume was a brown thrift store suit.  It was pretty terrible.

10.  Everyone should see Little Women because....
It's an excellent example of how powerful a familiar but fine work of literature can be when set to music.  I think people seeing it for the first time will be floored by how endearing and stirring the interactions of these characters become.

Bonus:  One question you wish someone would ask you (and the answer):
Q:  Would you like to talk about the new Star Wars film?
A:  YES!  I loved it.  As of Christmas, I have seen it twice.  I felt like I was 10 years old again.  So fun. 

Don't miss the chance to see Alexander in Little Women, as this beloved American classic comes to vivid musical life!  Performances are February 5 and 7 in the Capitol Theater.  Tickets start at $25; visit madisonopera.org for more information.

No comments: