Sunday, January 31, 2016

Ten Questions with Nathaniel Hill

Ten Questions With...

Nathaniel Hill, baritone
Mr. DashwoodLittle Women


1.  Where were you born / raised? 
Defiance, Ohio.

2.  If you weren't a singer, what profession would you be in?
It's difficult to say.  Maybe an actor, or maybe a director.  Maybe a vagrant.

3.  The first opera I was ever in was...
The Carmen chorus with Toledo Opera when I was about fifteen.  I was instantly hooked.

4.  My favorite opera is...
It's constantly changing.  Right now maybe Dead Man Walking or Sweeney Todd.

5.  My favorite pre/post-show meal is...
Pizza or pasta or something carb-dense.  But definitely a beer after the show.

6.  People would be surprised to know that...
Either that I have seven older sisters or that I am an avid NBA fan.

7.  My favorite book to read growing up was...
I loved Tolkien when I was young.

8.  If we were to turn on your ipod right now, what five artists / songs would we see on you recently-played list?
Recently I've been listening to Kishi Bashi, The Beach Boys, Johnny Cash, Falstaff, and Sir Thomas Allen.

9.  What is the worst costume you've ever worn?
The worst costume was definitely from this summer when I wore a fat suit as Gregorio in Roméo et Juliette.

10.  Everyone should see Little Women because....
It's an incredible adaptation of a book that everyone has read, and it's certainly one of the most-performed new works of the last twenty years.

Bonus:  One question you wish someone would ask you (and the answer):
Q:  How is your first winter in Madison going?
A:  Cold... very cold....

Don't miss the chance to see Nathaniel in Little Women, as this beloved American classic comes to vivid musical life!  Performances are February 5 and 7 in the Capitol Theater.  Tickets start at $25; visit madisonopera.org for more information.

No comments: