Friday, September 16, 2016

Ten Questions with Anna Polum

Ten Questions With...


Anna Polum, soprano
Madison Opera Studio Artist






1.  Where were you born / raised? 
I was born in Everett, Washington, but grew up (since I was 1) on Kodiak Island, Alaska.

2.  If you weren't a singer, what profession would you be in?
I would be a speech therapist.

3.  The first opera I was ever in was...
Carmen.

4.  My favorite opera is...
La Bohème.

5.  My favorite pre/post-show meal is...
A big juicy burger after a show.

6.  People would be surprised to know that...
I love to fish!  I grew up fishing and being outside, and now I love to go whenever I can.

7.  A few of my favorite books are...
The Hobbit and anything that is a biography.

8.  If we were to turn on your music-listening device right now, what five artists/songs would we see on your recently-played list?   
Adele, Anna Netrebko, The Beatles, Blood, Sweat and Tears, and Buena Vista Social Club.

9.  What is the best costume you've ever worn?
The best costume I've ever worn was when I sang Countess Almaviva in UW-Madison's production of Le Nozze di Figaro.  The costume was a brilliant blue dress that was absolutely stunning and had a gorgeous train (although heavy).

10.  Everyone should go to the opera because....
...it's not all dark and dreary.  Opera gets a bad reputation for being depressing and boring, but there are a lot of times in opera or whole operas themselves that suggest differently.  If you familiarize yourself with opera like one does film, it's just as entertaining.

Don't miss the chance to see Anna all year long, on our mainstage and in our community.  Visit madisonopera.org for more information.

No comments: