Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Ten Questions with Anna Parks

 
Ten Questions with 
Anna Parks, mezzo-soprano
3rd Lady in The Magic Flute







1.  Where were you born / raised? 
I was born in Eau Claire, WI, but was raised in River Falls, WI.

2.  If you weren't a singer, what profession would you be in?
I minored in business administration so I would love to still be involved with an arts organization in some way. If not, either a lawyer or a ghost hunter. 

3.  The first opera I was ever in was...
Iolanthe. I was still in high school, and even though some people don't believe that Gilbert & Sullivan is "true" opera, I loved it!

4.  My favorite opera is...
Così fan tutte by Mozart or anything by John Adams.

5.  My favorite pre-show / post-show meal is...
Pre-show is usually pretty light, just some avocado toast and tea. Post-show I eat like crazy! Usually a burger, pizza, or if I'm lucky some of Susan's bourbon brownies. 

6.  People would be surprised to know that...
Before going to college, I was torn between music and languages. I really wanted to be an international interpreter or the ambassador of the United States to Mexico, but music won. I just can't live without it. 

7.  My favorite musical instrument is ...
My dad is a professional French horn player so I have to go with that. It's such a beautiful sound. I wish I could play the piano; it's definitely a skill I need to work on. 

8.  I like to binge-watch...
Pretty much anything. I'm a major binge-watcher. I just finished watching The People v. O.J. Simpson. It was very interesting. 

9.  What four people (living or deceased) would you like to invite for a dinner party?
Audrey Hepburn, Ruth Bader Ginsberg, Barack Obama, and Desmond Tutu. 

10.  Everyone should see The Magic Flute because....
I always say The Magic Flute is the best first opera to go to. The music is amazing and there are so many fun elements to the story. Everyone should see it, especially if you have never been to an opera before!

Bonus: One question you wish someone would ask you (and the answer).
Q:  What is your favorite fiber? 
A:  Alpaca. It's very warm and durable for cold Midwest winters! Plus Alpacas are super adorable.


Don't miss the chance to see Anna in The Magic Flute, Mozart's sublime opera that is part fairy-tale, part adventure story, and all enchantment.  Performances are April 21 and 23 in Overture Hall.  Tickets start at $18; visit madisonopera.org for more information.

No comments: