Saturday, April 1, 2017

Ten Questions with Dan Rigazzi

Ten Questions with 
Dan Rigazzi
Director, The Magic Flute



1.  Where were you born / raised? 
I was born in Sacramento, California, but grew up a Navy and Marine Corps brat. I lived in a lot of different places like California, Japan, and Washington D.C. 

2.  If you weren't a stage director, what profession would you be in?
I would be a chef.

3.  The first opera I ever directed was...
The Rape of Lucretia. 

4.  My favorite opera is...
Monteverdi's Orfeo.

5.  My favorite pre-show / post-show meal is...
During tech week, I eat a lot of chicken wings. 

6.  People would be surprised to know that...
I'm a huge baseball fan. 

7.  My favorite musical instrument to play is ...
Ukulele. 

8.  I like to binge-watch...
The Americans. 

9.  What four people (living or deceased) would you like to invite for a dinner party?
Jonathan Swift, Louis Armstrong, William Shakespeare, and Theodore Roosevelt. 

10.  Everyone should see The Magic Flute because....
It's a life-affirming celebration of the human family. 

11. Bonus: One question you wish someone would ask you (and the answer).
Q:  Why is opera the ultimate art form?
A:  It combines the very best of the arts - music, dance, poetry, drama, visual arts, design, and fashion. All of these different branches come together to tell epic stories filled with larger than life characters. It's the hardest form to perfect, but when you get it right, it's unforgettable. 



Don't miss the chance to see Dan's production of The Magic Flute, Mozart's sublime opera that is part fairy-tale, part adventure story, and all enchantment.  Performances are April 21 and 23 in Overture Hall.  Tickets start at $18; visit madisonopera.org for more information.

No comments: