Saturday, April 8, 2017

Ten Questions with Scott Brunscheen

Ten Questions with 
Scott Brunscheen, tenor
Monostatos in The Magic Flute





1.  Where were you born / raised? 
Born in Des Moines and raised in West Des Moines and the southwestern suburbs of Chicago. 

2.  If you weren't a singer, what profession would you be in?
I would most likely be an architect. 

3.  The first opera I was ever in was...
Le Nozze di Figaro in my freshman year of college. 

4.  My favorite opera is...
Right now, it's a toss-up between Handel's Theodora and David Lang's The Difficulty of Crossing a Field

5.  My favorite pre-show / post-show meal is...
Mac and cheese with bacon in it. 

6.  People would be surprised to know that...
I'm obsessively clean. I clean when I'm bored, upset, happy, or needing to feel relaxed. 

7.  My favorite musical instrument to play is ...
Piano. While studying it in school, I practiced all the time and was pretty good. Now, I just learn all the vocal accompaniments to help me learn my rep. 

8.  I like to binge-watch...
At any time, I'm rewatching Damages, Fringe, or Don't Trust the B in Apt 23. Right now, I'm obsessing over Schitt's Creek. 

9.  What four people (living or deceased) would you like to invite for a dinner party?
Oscar Wilde, Parker Posey, Michelle Obama, and Benjamin Britten. 

10.  Everyone should see The Magic Flute because....
The music is iconic and gorgeous. Because it is so often produced, it is easy to forget how incredible Mozart's score is. I don't think anybody can dislike it - even people who don't like opera. 

Bonus: One question you wish someone would ask you (and the answer).
Q: What is your favorite food? 
A: I'm obsessed with Korean food right now. Kimchi? YES! Bulgogi? Absolutely. Fish cakes in spicy/salty/tangy sauce? I'm all over it. The saddest part is that it gives me some serious reflux sometimes, which is why I can't eat it before singing.  

Don't miss the chance to see Scott in The Magic Flute, Mozart's sublime opera that is part fairy-tale, part adventure story, and all enchantment.  Performances are April 21 and 23 in Overture Hall.  Tickets start at $18; visit madisonopera.org for more information.

No comments: